Traveling for the summer?

posted: by: RTAH Tags: "Clinic Specials" "News" 

If your pet is staying at home while you are away, it would be a good idea to phone or stop in River Trails and let us know who will be pet-sitting and if they are authorized to make medical decisions regarding your pet. Then you can actually relax on vacation knowing that your pet will receive prompt care if an unexpected illness occurs.
If you are planning on taking your pet with you within the continental United States, we encourage you to plan ahead. There are several airlines that require a health certificate and examination validating your pet's health 7-14 days before flight.  Check with your airline carrier to determine their specific requirements.
If you and your pet are traveling outside of the continental United States, some islands and countries require at least 4 months of preparation and adherence to a strict timeline of certain infectious disease tests. To determine what is involved with exporting your pet, please refer to the embassy of your destination country, contact their department of agriculture, or visit the USDA website and click on the link specific to your destination country.  Please be aware that the USDA website may not always have current requirements listed, so we recommend that you verify any information you obtain online with the embassy.